Saturday 24 May 2014

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team



No I don't hate mystery Dungeon. I hate the goddamn questionnaire. Oh yes I'd like to play as Pikachu, what I have to answer certain questions with certain answers which are randomly selected requiring me to restart the game 9 times until I got what I wanted, yeah that's brilliant. Hey Game Freak look what Sonic Adventure has:
or Street Fighter:
or even Arkham City:
Okay i'll stop picking on the questionnaire. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon revolves around you, turned into a pokemon in a world without humans as you join a rescue team helping other pokemon from natural disasters by going into randomly laid out dungeons. Yeah no strategy guide for you.
You play as one pokemon as you have partners with you who pretty much fight without commands. Though your commands are much more simplified than those in the main pokemon series aiming to a much younger market, despite the fact that this game is balls to the wall hard compared to the core series.
Though the main reasoning for that is, that until you beat the game, your character and your partners cannot evolve, meaning you have to take on powerful legendary bosses with such pokemon as treecko or torchic, rather than Sceptile or Blaziken. This does allow for well designed bosses as using a Raichu against a Kyogre would be a hell of a lot easier than a Pikachu for example.
Yeah I know it's Articuno I showed, deal with it. Anyway the game plays as a turn based adventure as enemies only move on the map when you do and the game has a very large problem. Well the game despite the dungeons shifting all the time, all you ever do is, go in, grab items, maybe fight a boss, move on, and this is especially apparent in a lot of the quests. Beating bosses can get them on your side, IF you've bought their favourite environment, otherwise they won't join you and you fought that boss FOR NOTHING!!
Of course I did forget to mention the playable pokemon, there are 16 which are decided by your gender and the questionnaire. These are the Pokemon available:
Wait a minute, who the hell wants to be Skitty? Anyway after you beat the game, you can finally evolve and there are plenty of optional bosses and an infinite number of sidequests, as I explained earlier, these are all virtually the same anyway.  But overall the gameplay for this game is simplistic but challenging and you can't fault the length of the game as this will keep you busy for ages, but like I said it gets very VERY repetitive.  I give this game:

No comments:

Post a Comment