Monday 9 December 2013

Women in Gaming

Back in August 6 1986, Metroid was released to the world. A game where it was believed you played a big strong male space marine, but when you finished the game, you discovered that he was a she, and back then, that was a mindfuck, so what about today, have things gotten better with the industry.... have they fuck, I'm TheJoelMH and today I look at the problems with women in gaming.



Women in gaming, how often do you see a female hero, while they do happen, it's not very often and when it does, it's either really good and ignored like the Tomb Raider reboot or just tits on legs like the original Tomb Raider. Now don't get me wrong, games where the female hero is a stupid dipshit and is played for laughs, I have played some like that, I mean I enjoyed Lollipop Chainsaw, but there have been cases of it going to far, you want an example from Nintendo who came up with Metroid. The game is called Super Princess Peach.
The game revolves around Princess Peach fighting enemies to save Mario and a magical wand by get this fighting with her emotions, I mean what the hell is going on?
O....kay. Moving on. Oh and the magical wand is called the Vibe Wand that according to the game every mother has.
YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THIS GAME IS A QUEST FOR A DILDO!
Now this isn't the only problem, games such as Remember Me and Tomb Raider didn't do as well in sales as their companies' wanted, why, because the main hero is a woman, why, because most gamers are stupid idiots. Did you know that Bioshock Infinite was meant to have Elizabeth on the cover of the game, but guess what, those idiots couldn't bare having a woman on the front cover, so instead we got this:
Oh dudes, was Elizabeth the game's real star to gay for your cover, oh have the big strong man instead clutching his gun! I mean it is rare to see a game with a female lead that isn't done so for sexual purposes, I mean Bayonetta for example.

And yes there are games on a positive note, but not many such as the Alice series, Portal and um, something else. And before you say Mass Effect, out of Male or Female Shepard who do you think they actually picked to market more?

What's worse is that sexism is STILL a huge problem in this market in the development area. These are actual Twitter posts of women developers:
The worst sexism is the "harmless" assumptions. I'm sick of being told art is the only appropriate career for a woman in games.

Because I get mistaken for the receptionist or day-hire marketing at trade shows.

Because the folks in marketing don't bother doing their jobs when the video game stars a lady http://bit.ly/U0duoy 

Because conventions, where designers are celebrated, are unsafe places for me. Really. I've been groped.

Once heard an Art manager say 'We don't need any more women, they're more trouble than they're worth' as he viewed applications

Need I say more. It's not just in game where this is a problem, it's in the actual development of games as well. So why do they put up with what they do... because they want to share stories through games that they put their heart in soul in, just like male developers, yes there are many on both sides of the curtain who don't give two fucks and those games get taken down by me, but the fact of the matter is, this is what these people enjoy doing and what do a lot of gamers do? Be complete wankers by going, oh a women as the lead, this must be cootie driven girly shit, I'll stick to Gears of War as I run around as a clearly over masculine figure that could rival even fucking He-Man. Well I will tell you this right now, I would rather play Tomb Raider for all eternity than be forced to play Gears of War for more than a day and by that I mean the reboot not Og Tomb Raider, because that's just titty cam shooting whose camera is more focused on tit and ass shots than actually letting you see where to go. So next time you see developers at a con and some are women, don't be assholes, and don't be extra nice,just talk to them like, I don't know, fucking people. I'm The Joel MH signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment